What’s Your Favorite Workout?

18th February 2012, By: dimity,

100 jumping jacks--followed by 60 more--might just put me over the edge. And maybe that's a good thing.

We’re trying to make Another Mother Runner 2.0, to be released within weeks, as strong as your quads are–and as interesting as you are. So we need some more help from you capable, funny, smart women. (Yes, buttering you up. Just play along, okay?)

We asked for your playlists a few weeks ago, and are still accepting them, despite the harsh-sounding deadline. So send tunes our way if you have ‘em; all the guidelines are here.

Today, we’re pleading for your workouts. All kinds of workouts, like

1. Your favorite treadmill workouts. And no, that’s not an oxymoron. What do you like to do on the ‘mill to get your run on? It can be a specific workout (something like 5 minutes at 1% incline, 4 minutes at 2% incline, 3 at 3%, etc.) or just a general idea (I crank the speed for every other song for 40 minutes). Obviously, the more specific, the better, but really, give us what tips you have and we’ll combine them into a nice package.
  2. Your favorite strength training workouts. Do you have a go-to routine? My current fave is push-ups, lunges, squats, one-legged squats, tricep dips, pull-ups; do 3 sets of 10-15 reps each. We’d love to hear what you ladies do…and again, we’ll take anything, but the more specific you can be, the easier you’ll make our lives.
  3. Your favorite speed workout on the track. Do you live for 800′s? (If so, have you had your head checked lately?) Seriously, lay out what you like to do when your rubber treads hit the track or the treadmill and you push your limits.
  4. Your favorite run. If you occasionally go beyond distance (4 miles) and time (40 minutes), and spruce things up with intervals or grapevines or high knees, we want to know about it. And again, if you do things in a less structured way–I run hard until I see a white car, then I slow down; I run until I hear a song lyric that reminds me of my kids, then I walk for a minute–we’re dying to know.

Basically, our goal is to put together a library of workouts, so that when you’re sitting at home, dreading the same-route, same-pace, same-one-hit-wonder routine that you’ve been doing for weeks, you’ll check out a workout and be psyched to lace up.

So don’t be shy. As we tell our kids, sharing is a good thing. Ideally, we’d love for you to send us your workouts at runmother at gmail dot com with as much detail as you can give us (the workout, how often you do it); your blog or Twitter handle, if you have either; and a pic of yourself running.

Second best: comment below with your workout. Beggars can’t be choosers, after all.

Thanks much, ladies, and happy miles and a peaceful Sunday to you all.

24 Responses to What’s Your Favorite Workout?

1. Sara says:

For my “favorite” treadmill workout, I increase the incline by 2 notches for one minute, then decrease by 1 notch for one minute, then increase by 2 notches, etc, keeping the same speed throughout. (So, for example, 1 min @ .5 incline, 1 min @ min 1.5, 1 min @ 1, 1 min @ 2, etc.) Keeping track of the pattern means I don’t get bored, and the minutes where I decrease the incline feel like a break, even though I’m still running uphill. I usually work my way up to 4.5 or so. A couple sets of this is TOUGH!

2. Donna G says:

On the track, I love to do the shorter workouts so my favorite is running 200 m or 100 m repeats! Love for those few moments how fast I feel! I love track workouts and how it’s such a different mindset than just getting out there and getting miles in.

My other favorite speed workouts are fartleks!

My favorite strength training workouts is the 30 day shred; just all around great workout.

3. Stephanie V. says:

Which kind of leg lift for the 100 workout?

4. Elizabeth Miller says:

What seems like ages ago, I used to be a high school & college sprinter so I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE speed work (but not really 800′s).

My favorite speed workout is a ladder… 200m @ 45 sec, 400m @ 90 sec, 600 @ 2:00, 800m @ 3:00, repeat the 800m then head back down the ladder. I do it with a mile warm up and a mile cool down with 200m recovery between each interval. Even though I am not fond of 800′s, there are only two of them and I know the intervals get shorter after that!

5. Sarah says:

strength training- For upper body I do light weights 5 lbs and I do high reps- 50
    For lower body- I do 3 sets of 25 squats while standing over my baby. She thinks it’s hilarious.
    Then I do 3 sets of 25 kettle bell swings.

My favorite treadmill workout is to do a ladder. I start at 7.0mph for one minute then increase by.10 every minute until I reach 8mph. Then I decrease the speed at the same rate. I do this twice and then cool down.

6. Tami says:

i do enjoy yasso 800′s or any track workout

i really really LOVE Lauren’s Core workout
    found here

and an updated version

7. Jana Rugg says:

I cross-train with P90X three days a week. My normal routine (when my PF isn’t ruining my life like it is right now!) is: Monday P90X strength training upper body…tues run 5 miles…wed P90X strength training lower body…thurs run 5 miles…Friday P90x Plyo workout…sat run whatever distance my running club is doing depending on what we are training for at the time. Right now I’m stuck doing modified P90x workouts and running only on my ellipticle until my damn foot heals.

8. Kathy says:

I am an interval treadmill runner
    I start walking for 5 minutes
    Run at 7.0 for 2 minutes
    Walk at 4.0 for 2 minutes
    Run at 7.0 for 3 minutes
    Walk for 2 minutes
    Run at 7.0 for 4 minutes
    Walk for 2 minutes
    Run at 7.0 for 5 minutes
    I will then do the reverse

9. Jessie says:

Wow..I just did this 100 Workout. Yeeouch! The leg lifts killed me, but I have a feeling that this will pay off if I do this every cross training day!

I do love 800s. The reason is because even though they are so difficult, I feel like I’m getting stronger while I’m doing them. I normally run about a 12:00 mile and they are helping me improve. I do notice that in my other runs, I feel so much better and I feel like my endurance and stamina have improved. When I’m on a treadmill for the other runs, I can up the speed now when I couldn’t before. I now put in 800s once a week, usually on Wednesdays.