What Should I Name My Bike?

22nd April 2012, By: dimity, Tags:

Have wheels, will travel. Far and fast.

So I recently got a bike that, quite frankly, I’m not worthy of. Yet. But I plan to be within a month or so. It’s a Trek Speed Concept 7.8, and it’s a tri-specific bike, which means it has aerobars–nearly horizontal bars where my forearms are resting in the picture above–instead of a straight-across handle bar, which mountain bikes have, or drop-bars, like road bikes have. Aerobars make you–surprise!–more aerodynamic, but they also up the danger factor a bit; I can shift with the arerobars, but there are no brakes on them. The set-up means I have to be really engaged when I ride and have improve my bike handling skills just a smidge.

I’ve got big plans for this bike. We’re going to do the Harvest Moon Half-Ironman together in September, and if that goes well, I’m going to gun for a full Ironman in 2013. In other words, I’m going to have a pretty serious relationship with this bike; its seat will be glued to my most delicate part for many, many miles over the next two years.

I am not the type to name my vehicles, but I’m taking my cue from the mother runner who nicknamed her treadmill Donnie Wahlberg; she likes to get on him and get in a workout. (The exact quote is in TLAM in the Best Signs at  Race sidebar if you need more details.) I’m still not sure if the bike is a he or she; it is a men’s bike because Trek’s Women’s Specific Design 7.8 is built for the more average-sized female riders.

A close-up, so you can have a better idea on what you're voting on. (Notice I added light blue water bottle cages to make it a bit more girly.)

So far, I’ve got four options:

1. Dwight. This was my first thought, because the Speed Concept puts the emphasis on speed, and I needed a way to reign this bad boy in and keep him humble, and let him remember it’s the legs doing the pedaling, not the bike itself, who is in charge.

2. Sam. During my second ride on ___________, I rode with my husband, who happens to have testosterone. Which means I have to pedal hard to hang with–or ideally, stay in front of–him. We were riding on a pretty narrow bike path, going under bridges (read: there were a lot of shadows and light changes  was changing quickly) with pretty abrupt little hills and I was freaked as I tried to hang with the husband. So I thought of Sam. The reason why I like it: it can be drawn out, like Sam-U-EL! Like how you expand names when you’re punishing kids. Sam-U-EL! Let me not crash! It could also be Sa-MAN-THA! You control your turns!

3. Trixie. This was SBS’ addition this afternoon before we parted ways in Atlanta today. This could be a girl bike, and she could own her speed and power, as we always tell you’ll do do. Trixie the Trek could be one badass mother bike, piloted by one BAMR.

4. Alamimo. Researched this baby at the airport; a unisex name that means fast, quick, nimble. I kind of wish it were Alamino–seems to roll better off my Minnesotan tongue–but I do like the uniqueness of the name. I can hear the fake announcer in my head now: “Here comes Alamimo, piloted by Dimity!”

What would you name it? One of these four or something else?

Tags:

48 Responses to What Should I Name My Bike?

1. Karen L. says:

So… did you name your bike? What was the verdict? I LOVE my bike, too! I’m hoping of getting to bike more this summer and swim more this fall when my 2 yr old starts preschool! Maybe, just maybe, I’ll train for a Tri!!! Maybe that should be the topic of your next book: Tri like a Mother! I’d love to see it! ;-)

2. Merle says:

How about naming the new bike Jaguar or Tiger or another big and swift animal? After the recent IM South-Africa race which had very difficult conditions, the women’s winner Natascha Badmann spoke about her bicycle named ‘Cheetah’. “Cheetah was my motivation. I said, Cheetah you have to hunt even if there is wind. Otherwise there is no food. So you better race fast!” And Cheetah delivered, in big time.

Which IM you are thinking of doing?

3. Terzah says:

I will be very curious to hear what you name _______________________ .

I found out today that I’m probably looking at another three months or so of no-to-minimal running. So I named my friend the gym’s recumbent bike “Pitbull” after the (yes, vulgar but oh-so-catchy) hip-hop Cuban whose music accompanies all my rides.

4. Jackie says:

Ursula the Unstoppable
    Too funny that you are naming your bike. Last year when I bought a custom made bike, my family made fun of me for naming her Mabel (Mabel, Mabel, strong and able!) Glad I’m not the only one :-)

5. Jessi says:

I love Trixie the Trek I think that is way cute. But I also name my cars :) . I never thought to name by new bike I just got to complete the Seattle to Portland in July 2012. You have for sure given me food for thought. Love the new bike and the great goals.

6. Les says:

I vote for a dude name. How about Daniele? In Italian it is a guy’s name. I decided to name my Speed Concept Alessandro…Alessio for short. He is killer fast and I am so not worthy. During IM WI last year, I passed 500+ on the bike course. Other Italian names starting with D: http://italian.about.com/library/name/blnameindexd.htm. Dante? Davide?

7. Vicki R says:

Trixie!

8. Jess says:

I would just name her Badass…cause that’s what she is Bad. Ass. :)

9. Robin says:

I vote for BAMBI- as in “bad ass mother bike” … And the I is just for extra…. Bambi looks gentle and sweet, but man can she fly when she wants too!
    Congrats on a beautiful bike, whatever you name her. I am a triathlete as well, I really enjoy the cross training.

10. Maxine says:

I like Moxie (and not just because it sounds like my name!) It is cute and spunky and to have moxie means to have the courage to take on a difficult challenge. Couldn’t we all use some of that? :)

11. Molly says:

This has been very interesting for me. I picked up my new bike last week as I train for my first Triathalon. I did not know that naming one’s bike was a thing. Now I have something to think about. I hope you will blog about you tri training and that you and SBS will talk about it on the podcast. I love you guys!