Why I Will Run Today

24th June 2012, By: dimity,

6:47 a.m.
“Mom, can you make me my breakfast? I’ll eat whatever you want to make.”
6:49 a.m.

“But I didn’t want pancakes and a banana.”
9:28 a.m.
“Mom, will you play tennis with us in the driveway?”
“Mom, that was a bad throw.”
“Mom, I told you, I don’t like hitting backhands.”
“Mom, don’t tell me how to stand. That’s for my teacher to do.”
9:33 a.m.
“Mom, why aren’t you playing tennis with us anymore?”
11:02 a.m.

“Mom, I forgot to tell you I peed in my bed last night.”
11:30 a.m.
“But Mooooooom, it’s no fair that she gets an ice cream cake for her birthday and you just baked me a cake. I wanted an ice cream cake. Why didn’t I have an ice cream cake? Why did you have to bake me one? I wanted an ice creeeeaaammm cake.”
1:11 p.m.

“Ok, guys, we’re going to have quiet time for one hour. You can play in the basement by yourself, read, color, whatever you want to do that’s quiet and by yourself.”
1:13 p.m.
“Mom, can you play with me?”
2:34 p.m.
“Mom, it’s no fair that you roll all the good numbers in Trouble. It’s no fair that you always win. It’s no fair that I never win.”
[Bear in mind that the dice in Trouble is under a plastic bubble so you can't really throw the game to avoid a six-year-old's wrath.]
3:07 p.m.
“Mom, Ben did this…”
“Mom, Amelia did that…”
3:37 p.m.
“Mom, it’s still no fair that she gets an ice cream cake.”
4:01 p.m.
“Mom, watch me do this dance.”
“Mom, you’re not even watching.”
4:02 p.m.
“Mom, did you see this picture I colored?”
“Mom, you didn’t look. Don’t say it’s pretty if you haven’t even looked at it.”
4:03 p.m.
“Mom, why don’t you ever want to play Trouble with me? You never play with me ever.”
4:04 p.m.
“Mom, can you get me a snack? And I mean a snack that’s better than Goldfish or an apple.”
4:46 p.m.

8 p.m.
“Mom, I just don’t want to go to bed tonight. I just don’t want to. Can I stay up all night?”
“Mom, why do I have to go to bed?”
“Mom, bed is dumb. I don’t want to sleep.”
9:34 p.m.
[Echoing in my head]: “Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom….”

78 Responses to Why I Will Run Today

1. sytropin says:

It’s wonderful that you are getting ideas from this post as
    well as from our dialogue made at this time.

2. Gwen says:

Thanks for stopping by my house too…mind you the word “DAD” never is in front of all those sentences. I’ve been an off and on runner over the past few years due to injuries etc and on Saturday I was able to escape out of my house for 45:15 with music in my ears and a nice slow 3.5 mile run….with the words Mom, Mom, Mom….far behind me :) It was glorious and certainly makes it easier to deal with the banter upon walking back through the door.

3. Tami says:

Just need to add the “PLEASEEEEE MOMMY…” to the Mom tags above! This made my day and reminded me I am so not alone! MOM ROCKS!!!

4. Bridget says:

Wait until they hit their teens … you are still here to serve them and you still can’t do anything right (compounded by the obviousness that they believe you are as dumb as stone). However, instead of an incessant string of words and demands, this is conveyed to you with predictable animation; hair flinging, eye rolling, deliberate, deep breaths in – loud exaggerated exhales out, door slamming and intolerance oozing out of every pore you created. You learn to make no eye contact in the AM (good God don’t even think about dipping a toe in to test the waters) until the “all clear” whistles blows and they speak to you first – which is extremely important to wait for them to speak to you first – so you know which way the wind is blowing and how to proceed. A bonus is when they may write a paper in school, which the teacher wants to get published, and you are stupidly excited and ask to read it …(more eye rolling) …and you read her paper that states “mothers” should listen more instead of trying to “fix” everything because all teenagers want is someone to listen to them instead of parents trying to help solve their problems (oh … like the SOS text I received at work yesterday begging me to email her gym teacher to excuse her from gym because she forgot her gym clothes and couldn’t receive another “unprepared for class” ) … yeah, this is why I run and why us Moms Must Run!!!

5. Pingback: Just Do It | The Tall and Short of it

6. Sandra says:

Funny I didn’t see you at my house. I run now because NOBODY at my house wants to do it with me. When I worked out downstairs my five year old would come down and make statements like why aren’t you doing it faster and why aren’t you doing it like the people on the video. So I run.

• Robyne says:

I had one of those kids. Then they are perfectly content playing or watching a video but the minute you get on the treadmill they need something!

7. I am laughing so hard. This reminds me of a sign I posted on our “in renovations” bathroom door earlier this week that reads “mom is writing please go ask dad”. My husband promised me 2 afternoons a week to write when I was talking about starting a blog, and he is trying but the kids just don’t seem to get the concept of seeking out dad, when he is home. They go straight to me forcing me to lock myself in a half finished bathroom with my lap top to write, with a huge sign on the door directing them to their father!

8. Debbie says:

I don’t run, but every mom needs time to herself to sort things out in your head.

9. Kristin says:

That was fantastic!

10. Stephaine says:

That was awesome – I was actually laughing out loud! That pretty much sums up my every day. Sometimes all the little voices make me think I’m going to go CRAZY!!! But I wouldn’t trade my 2 girlies (and one waiting to arrive in a week or so) for anything :)

11. Corrina says:

Perfect! and somehow when you log those morning miles, after ever exasperating comment and conversation with the kids, I think to my self–it’s ok, I ran today. And it truly is :)

12. Michelle says:

This was my day yesterday! Laughed out loud.

13. Carrie says:

Good Lord! Sounds like an audio recording of my house last weekend (or, really, any night at dinner….).

In fact, one of my favorites comes from my 4-year old who loves to monologue in the car on the way home from daycare. She chastises me for saying “huh,” in response to whatever she’s chatting about. “Mommy, stop saying huh!”

14. Christina says:

“Mom, why can’t I just sit in the bathroom while you shower? I like just sitting on the toilet and being near you.” It never fails. *sigh*