Consider this post a warm-up for the 2012 election...lots of voting going on.
1. Sarah and I got to hang out with some really cool Gatorade people at the Blogher conference, including sports moms Brandi Chastain and Loreane Tomlinson, mother to NFL phenom LT. Gatorade created a really great initiative called the Become Pledge, which is about encouraging young athletes to become the best they can be.
For everybody who takes the pledge, Gatorade will donate a dollar to the Women Sport's Foundation. Sweet! They have a goal of reaching a hefty and generous 10,000 pledges, and asked us to help rally some troops.
Besides feeling good you're getting more female athletes in the world, you have a chance to win one of two soccer balls signed by none other than Brandi herself, a mom of two who still does two-a-day soccer practices (not kidding). In order to be entered, simply go to this page, take the pledge, and then come back here and tell us you're game to helping young athletes become. We'll announce winners next Friday.
2. We're got a new episode of Another Mother Radio out: We hit on tips for the Hood to Coast relay (or any team relay, really). Even if you never plan on running one, you'll be sure to learn something you can bring up--and impress others with--at your next group run. Check it out on iTunes here. Also, don't forget you can save 20% off all nuun.com orders by using the discount code: NUUN-AMR-08.
3. A big thanks to everybody who voted for us for the Chocolate Milk Refuel Grant. Super excited to report that we won (!!!), and we'll be using the money for travel expenses to the Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. We're going to be speaking at the expo--How to Run Like a Mother, natch--and then hanging out at the Sof Sole booth, where you can pick up some serious treats for your feet. When we take on the half-marathon, we'll be thanking you with every step.
4. Another place you can raise your voice: SBS is up for one of the top 50 healthy tweeps (Twitter personalities) on the comprehensive Mamavation site. Take it from me: The girl tweets up a storm and promotes the AMR lifestyle (most of the time, anyway). Vote for her here; the list is in alphabetical order. (She's @SBSontherun.)
5. Finally, it's all about you. Two random winners of the AMR tees from last Wednesday's post:
I am a mother of three returning to school to follow my passion. I gave up engineering and have gone back for music performance. I am absolutely loving it, but school starts soon and between the kids, running, trips, and adventures practicing has not quite been accomplished. Oops. So now I have two weeks to get back in shape before some auditions. It was worth it, though, this summer with the kids was incredible.
Oh my goodness–my parents are coming for a 17-day visit in 2 DAYS, I have to get my kids ready for new-school transitions (high school + middle school) PLUS get my own first-grade classroom ready (new room + new grade level!), figure out how I can be 3 places at one time on 8/31 when my husband (doh!) scheduled a major work event AT OUR HOME set to take place at exactly the time I have “Back to School Night” (not optional) at my school AND our son has Freshman Orientation… breathe!… breathing…
…and then, after it’s all ready-to-go, my parents leave AND TheHub heads off on a 10-day work trip…seriously, everyone skidoos on the first day of school!
Do you know what a 1st grade teacher needs every evening during the 1st week of school? Some wind beneath her wings, is what.
OH! And my friends & I got into the Twin Cities Medtronic 10-mile race via a lottery drawing! So I *definitely* need to keep up the training for that!!! 10/2 is race day!! Woot!
When you come up for air, Katy, and Julie, drop us an e-mail with your address, shirt size, and shirt preference at runmother at gmail dot com, and we'll get you outfitted.
Hope Hurricane Irene stays out to sea, and that all your miles are good ones this weekend.