BEST FOR: Anybody who wants to be part of a team for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon.
We’ll have a group of proteges: runners who are taking on the marathon distance for the first time—or the first time in a long time—and want a mentor/accountability buddy to help with the training cycle and run with them on race day.
And we’ll have a group of mentors: runners who are experienced at the marathon and want to encourage a fellow runner through the training cycle and on race day.
- You’ll use one of two training programs 26.2: Run/Walk the Distance or 26.2: Go the Distance.
- For 26.2 Run/Walk: You have some run/walk experience, including completing a half marathon or two. Currently, you can run/walk at least 60 minutes straight with your current weekly mileage from 15 – 20 miles. You are injury free and in the habit of strength training twice a week in order to protect against injury.
- For the Run program: You have logged at least 12 months of consistent mileage, and completed a half marathon or two. You should be able to currently run eight miles comfortably and have no injuries.
- You are excited to have a running mentor to guide you and a full team to support you, and plan on being in Indianapolis for race weekend.
- You have run at least marathon in the last year, and have run at least 3 marathons in the past three years.
- You are injury free.
- You have the time and energy to mentor a runner, and plan on being in Indianapolis on race weekend.
NUMBER OF WEEKS: 18 weeks (June 26-October 28)
RACE DETAILS: Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, October 28, 2023
Please note: In order to make this a successful program, we need a minimum of 25 protege athletes (in both the half marathon and marathon combined) to register by June 21. If we do not meet our goal, we will offer a full refund. (More details in questions + answers below.)