Today, we are kicking off a two-week stretch of another series of Why I Run; the first installment this summer was so popular, we couldn't resist. We put out a call on Twitter for submissions, and our water bottles runnethed over. If we missed you, we'll definitely do this again; please know we've got nothing but time and space on the Internet.
Kicking us off today is one seriously badass mother runner: Dorothy Beal. In Train Like a Mother, we included a short story from her about how she ran 13 miles pushing a triple jogger at a pace I'm not going to even print because I can't run that fast even when I don't have 80 pounds of cargo. Takes all types, right? I would be intimidated, but I know she's got a great heart to go with her fast legs. You can catch up with her at Mile Posts and on twitter @mileposts.
26.2 Reasons Why I Run:
1. I am an endorphin addict.
2. I want to be a strong, fit example to my three children.
3. I run to feel life deeper. To experience it one breath at a time.
4. I want to be faster today than I was yesterday.
5. I am a better mother, wife, sister, daughter, and friend after I run.
6. I enjoy going on 20 mile runs with friends much more than driving 20 miles to a bar.
7. I run to find my strong.
8. When someone talks about marathons, I want to be the person in the room who has run the most. (I am training for #19 Marathon right now: Boston 2012, which I will be running with my mom who also qualified.)
9. I’m slightly obsessed with shoes. Running gives me an excuse to buy multiple colors in the Saucony Kinvara each year. It’s not my fault running shoes only last 500 miles.
10. One day I want the number of marathons I’ve run to be in the triple digits.
11. I like the shocked look on childhood friends faces when they find out that this completely un-athletic, shy girl they knew could now kick their butt in a marathon.
12. I love the pure joy of moving through the air with nothing powering me but my own two feet.
13. Running teaches me things about myself I never knew.
14. I love crying at the start of a marathon and fighting off tears after the finish.
15. I want to be healthy enough to see my grandkids and be able to chase them around.
16. I want my daughter to grow up and think that I’m cool and she would pick me as a friend if I weren’t her mother. (I hope my sons think this, too.)
17. I like thinking of an outfit that I want to wear and fitting into it when I put it on in the morning.
18. I like having strong legs vs. stick thin legs.
19. I love making new friends through a common shared love of the sport.
20. I feel like a super hero when I push my kids in my triple running stroller. Nothing else makes me feel this way.
21. I run because I want others to.
22. I run because, after 3 kids, I have the body I wanted in high school.
23. I run because I am in love with tempos, track workouts, fartleks, long runs, slow runs, easy runs, and hard runs.
24. I run to feel closer to God.
25. I run to quiet the voices in my head that tell me I am not enough or that I am not worth it. I am enough. I am worth it.
26. It makes me happy, plain and simple. I’ve never regretted a run. Ever.
26.2 I run because I cannot imagine my life any other way. I am a runner.
Got your own reason to add? Or a favorite of Dorothy's? (I--Dimity--love I run to find my strong.)