BEST FOR: Anybody who wants to be part of a team for the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon.
We’ll have a group of proteges: runners who are taking on the half marathon distance for the first time—or the first time in a long time—and want a mentor/accountability buddy to help with the training cycle and run with them on race day.
And we’ll have a group of mentors: runners who are experienced at the half marathon and want to encourage a fellow runner through the training cycle and on race day.
- You’ll use one of two training programs 13.1: Run/Walk or 13.1: Run
- For 13.1: Run/Walk program: No running or race experience is required, but good general fitness—and a lack of injuries—is definitely necessary. The run/walk segments start with 2 minutes of running, 4 minutes of walking, so you should be able to run easy for several minutes.
- For the Run program: The ability to currently finish a 6-mile easy run. (Experience in shorter races is helpful but not mandatory.) Also, a injury-free body—or on your way to being injury free.
- You are excited to have a running mentor to guide you and a full team to support you.
- You have run at least one half marathon in the last six months, and have run at least 3 half marathons in the past two years.
- You are injury free.
- You have the time and energy to mentor a runner, and plan on being in Indianapolis on race day.
NUMBER OF WEEKS: 15 weeks (July 17-October 28)
RACE DETAILS: Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon, October 28, 2023
Please note: In order to make this a successful program, we need a minimum of 25 protege athletes (in both the half marathon and marathon combined) to register by June 21. If we do not meet our goal, we will offer a full refund. (More details in questions + answers below.)